The following information comes from Health Canada about hard surface disinfectants and hand sanitizers:
Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses. This means they are one of the easiest types of viruses to kill. It is important to:
• use the right disinfectant product
• follow the directions on the label
Although they do not claim to kill viruses such as COVID-19, cleaners can play a role in helping limit the transfer of microorganisms. For high-touch surfaces such as door handles, toys and phones, Health Canada recommends cleaning these often with either:
• regular household cleaners or
• diluted bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water)
Health Canada has published a list of hard surface disinfectants that are likely to be effective for use against coronavirus (COVID-19).
To view the list of approved disinfectants visit https://www.canada.ca/…/dr…/disinfectants/covid-19/list.html
For Hygiene and hand sanitizers;
Proper hygiene can help reduce the risk of infection or spreading infection to others:
• wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom and when preparing food
• use alcohol-based hand sanitizers if soap and water are not available
• when coughing or sneezing: cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand
• dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible in a lined waste basket and wash your hands afterwards
• avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
Never attempt to make hand sanitizer at home using alcohol intended for consumption. Doing so could be unsafe and will produce an ineffective product.
Products for Hand sanitizers must have 60-90% alcohol based to be effective against COVID-19.
Health Canada has published a list of hand sanitizers that are authorized for sale in Canada.
To view the list of approved hand sanitizers visit
Health Canada list hard-surface disinfectant meeting requirements for killing emerging viral pathogens when used according to instructions. They may be used against the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.